Friday, August 10, 2007

The new and the old


Tonight I'm sitting in a hotel room in Chicago reviewing the new and the old that have so far convened in my life. First, I'm in Chicago- that's new. Never visited the windy city and so far it's not too bad. After my flight I had the ride from hell to the hotel (I HATE taxi's-- I don't know what it is about them- I think it's the smell does it for me) but the driver HAD to go 80 mph then slam on the breaks every 4-5 seconds. If anyone has ever visited Jamaica, this was very similar to the ride from the airport to the resort-- both times, I felt every move in my stomach.

Also, I picked up dried dragon fruit at this great natural store: Trader Joe's-- kinda tastes like a very seedy raspberry- but they're big!
The old came with a phone call tonight- my old friend Julie is coming back to live in Omaha this week! She had been living in California since spring-- and it's going to be so great having her back home!! The Omaha young professional world hasn't felt the same without her!
Also there is the old feeling of being "husband-less"- Chris is in O'Neill, NE doing his rural rotation for the next two months. This Chicago trip is preventing me from seeing him this weekend, so that sucks. He witnessed the tornado that went through the area last night. He said it was really cool- but scary. Currently, our marriage is reduced to 4- minute phone calls, texting and emails since he does not have ANY cell service in O'Neill-- only pay phones on the highway and since he has the laptop, I can only text him. It's so sad...

Otherwise, all else is going well-- the KC area is looking more and more viable, now it's deciding on the group and ultimately, our time- line. I really want to nail it down, but I'm kinda glad we're not-- I don't want to feel like I'm leaving.
In any case, I'm focusing on the city of Chicago-- I'm really excited about finding out more. I love just walking around and discovering, and thanks to Terry for letting me borrow his laptop, I'll be able to report all of it here!

No comments: