Monday, June 18, 2007

Blogging on the Run- actually created 6/17

The following was written yesterday as I finally got the chance to upload it. My deepest apologies about the wait...
_________________________________________________________________
So this is interesting- blogging while on the road while coming up from Kansas City-- Of course there is the fear of running out of free wi-fi service while among the rolling fields of Missouri and Iowa, so I’m creating this in Word, then I’ll transfer it over to blogger as soon as I get home. Road trips are typically fun, unless of course you are crammed in a car with your brother in law, his wife, their week’s worth of luggage from their honeymoon and our luggage for the weekend. Our trip was pretty strategic planned actually- we picked up Kevin and Lana from the airport at KCI went to the hotel in Lawrence (about half an hour outside Kansas City) Friday night. We pulled in just as they landed- despite Chris’ fear they would be waiting for us. Although we didn’t make it to the rehearsal dinner for the wedding we felt victorious in hitting all the other “gongs”. The time with our new in-law was pretty fun though- our conversations going from serious mom- related issues to “so, what are you going to do...set my ASS on fire?” (a great line from Super Troopers- if you haven’t seen it, you have to- it’s hilarious!!) This was bonding time- probably the only time I’ve spoken more than 10 words to Lana. She’s very quiet and keeps to herself, but I think I may have finally cracked the shell. Who knows…

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Convention Center in Lawrence- which is really interesting since I work at the same type of place in Omaha. This place was ok- but reminded me of my workplace sans the massive renovations. The wedding was fun- Chris and Kevin both were groomsmen and the wedding was a typical Catholic ceremony- long and boring. I did discover the ultimate in bad wedding stories, though—I met Kim, a wife of another groomsman, who works for Abbott Pharm (who, by the way, I may be working with on a meeting in Omaha—ha! Take that white board!) Those that came to the rehearsal dinner, all her friends, family, etc. got sick with food poisoning. No matter how bad I feel about a late photographer, a broken unity candle, even switching reception facilities at the last minute- I can’t imagine all my closest friends and family going through that.

On our way back we stopped at fireworks in Iowa. We won’t talk about how illegal these are in our state, or how crammed we are with an additional 5 bags of bulky boxes in our laps- but we HAD to get them! It’s a bit of a tradition every year to have a big 4th of July party at our house- Chris grills and we have as many friends and family that can make it. Since we technically live outside the city limits we’ve never had any problems with the fireworks.

Since my trip is about about at its end- I’m finishing this up—I’ve had good luck typing while in a moving vehicle and that luck too is coming to an end.

No comments: