Sunday, June 10, 2007

Happy Wedding

To Lana and Kevin- my most heartfelt wishes for a long and lasting love! Congrats on the wedding and we were honored to have participated!

This weekend was all wedding. Kevin, my brother in law finally wed his fiance, Lana after FOUR years of an engagement. She wanted to graduate before heading to the alter, which I can understand. The wedding really did go off without a hitch- unlike mine, which Chris and I talked about at length in the many car rides to Yutan, NE. We had the photographer that showed up 20 minutes late to the reception, putting us behind for pictures on the golf course and the party itself. There was the center pieces, which I thought would be unique and interesting as they were to be hung from the ceiling, that ultimately became an 8 hour project for the boys and a thorn in Chris' side as we walked in and saw them uneven due to the florist's unsteady hand and lack of the actual flowers I'd requested. There was the ruined first dance, that we had spent thousands on dance lessons for and choreographed for the audience, by Chris' misstep that broke the bustle on the dress which required me to hold my dress up for the remainder of "Come What May" (how fitting). Of course, how can we forget Chris shaking so hard that he broke his half of the unity candle, or the bridesmaid that spent 8 out of the 9 engagement months in Virginia, the mother-of-the- bride's dress that was ruined via an over anxious carpet layer, or even the last minute reception location change after I left my place of employment with the understanding I could still host the party there, only to get a letter two weeks later that it would be more than five GRAND more since they were going to void my employee discount (enter in the lawyers and well- placed wedding postponement (someone else, not ours) and we had ourselves (THANK GOD) a new reception location)!
Whew! I'd heard that the more problems with the wedding, the more blessings the couple will have in the marriage- or did I just make that up to muster up a smile?
In any case, the wedding is over and Kevin and Lana can now breathe a sign of relief that they can say the same about their own. I'm sure things went wrong that no one, even us, ever saw. Really, that is the point, to make sure everything looks effortless- although no one believes it is.
Next weekend is another fun filled weekend of wedding bliss. This time outside Kansas City, KS, where Chris' cousin Jeremy will marry his love, Jennifer. Chris, again, is a groomsman while my job is not really defined for this one. I'm sure something of menial importance will be delegated to me upon arrival.
Ultimately, weddings are good for everyone. It's great to see all the happiness in these families, I will say.
My God bless each of them on each of their days together, as He has bless mine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.